This page has moved to a new address.

Shmirshky: the pursuit of hormone happiness by Ellen Sarver {Book Review}

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Shmirshky: the pursuit of hormone happiness by Ellen Sarver {Book Review}


Every woman goes through menopause in one way or the other - but yet it's a "hushed" topic.  The symptoms and the effects that it can have on each woman and their family can be so devastating.  "Shmirshky: the pursuit of hormone happiness" by Ellen Sarver Dolgen ,who goes by the pen name "E", brings this topic to the table in a format that is not only fun and easy-to-read but very informative.

At the age of 37, I was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) - Early Menopause.  After just having had our first child the previous year, and about to try for another child - we were given this shocking news.  At the time, it was quite devastating.  I had been diagnosed with postpartum hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's disease), an autoimmune disease, which the doctor's feel is what ultimately caused the POF.

Given the circumstances, I can't honestly say I went through perimenopause and menopause the traditional route.  I have been very fortunate to have just had some mild symptoms of menopause.  But with my hormone's constantly in flux, that's not to say I can't and won't experience more of the profound effects of menopause.  I believe having read this book will make me more aware of what is going on in my body.

Shmirshky discusses some devastating real-life experiences women have gone through.  Also, it raises awareness of what are "normal" symptoms or what may be due to some other issue such as thyroid disease.  Finding a doctor who is well educated in perimenopause and menopause is highly recommended in order to get the right treatment for you, and not just a "cookie-cutter" type of treatment.

E's big motto throughout the book is "reaching out is in, suffering in silence is out."  I highly recommend this book to all women.  Not only will it give you insight as to what changes to expect, or are already experiencing with your body, but will help you to better understand what others may be going through.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255 Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. Tomoson Product review & giveaway Disclosure.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home