This page has moved to a new address.

Important News About GFC

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Important News About GFC



Google has announced that as of March 2012, there will be discontinuing Google Friend Connect (GFC)!  I have a lot of people in my GFC, I'm a little worried about what will happen to all the people listed there.

Here is the post from the Official Google Blog:  More Spring Cleaning Out of Season.  It really just states that GFC did not pan out as they had hoped it would and that they encourage sites to start using the Google+ to bring their community of followers there instead of GFC.

I would encourage all bloggers to start having your followers connect to Google+ instead of GFC.  If you are a follower of mine, and would like to continue :-) please connect to me through Google+ so I can start some preventative stuff now.


I have set everything up on Google+, but honestly have not had a whole lot of time to play with it too much. It does seem a little similar to Facebook though, at least in being able to connect to people. Although, it is very unique too. You can connect with people, but put them in different categories. This allows you push different information to different groups of people.


So this is where it got a little confusing for me. There is a Google+ Page and a Google+ Profile. When I initially set up my profile I connected with a few people and was immediately getting their streams - posts from their websites. It took me awhile to realize that I have to create a Google+ Page for each of my websites and that those would be where my will posts feed through.

I'll be curious when I post this if it streams only through my A Mom Having Fun Google+ Page or if it goes through my "Page" and my Google+ Profile.

Hmmm, there are a LOT of blogs I follow too - I guess I will have to start changing the way I follow them as well! :-( Time to start going through my GFC and see who I follow and make sure that I change over to Google+, if they have it set up.

Another thing to add to our already crazy, busy lives - right?! I hope in the long run though, it is of more value to everyone.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Priyanka said...

hey :) you don't have to worry, the service wud be terminated only for the non-blogger/blogspot sites..google owns blogger, so we're safe! yay! :)

 
At November 23, 2011 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Denise McDonough said...

Can we all stand up for it TO NOT HAPPEN!

 
At November 23, 2011 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Misadventures in Motherhood said...

Ooh, okay.. Priyanka answered my question... I thought it only affects non-Blogger sites, and it appears that's correct. But I have to say that I LOVE my GFC. I love that I can keep track of all my favorite blogs right through the dashboard, and I'm going to miss seeing all of my Wordpress friends in my dashboard list! Bummer!!!

Of all the things to get rid of, why did they have to ditch GFC? Ugh! Maybe if enough people protest, they'll reconsider!

Anyway, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Smiles, Jenn @Misadventures in Motherhood

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home