This page has moved to a new address.

Oh My, What Happened To My Children Who Used To Sleep??

Monday, November 8, 2010

Oh My, What Happened To My Children Who Used To Sleep??

I admit, my husband and I were very spoiled for a long time with the sleep pattern of Anna and Ethan (the "twins"). We could put them to bed at 8 pm and they would sleep until after 9 am the next morning and still take a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon. Amazing right? Especially for those of us who tend to be more of a night person and not so much a morning person. Megan, our oldest, has always been a late sleeper.

Well, that's all changed... It is now a rare occasion if they actually sleep until 7 am. Two mornings ago their wake up time was 5:30 am...I hadn't gotten to bed until 1:30 am and my husband was at work for the next 36 hours. Ugh. I know as kids grow their patterns change with them. But for a person who doesn't adapt well to change, it has been a bit of a challenge.

Several weeks ago I started to get up at 6:30 am to exercise. I had been complaining to my sister one day about never having the time to exercise, who then came back with "you have to make the time". I do know that, but hearing it come from someone else made me realize that is exactly what I wasn't doing. I already have very bad bone density so it is actually crucial for me to exercise. So anyway I started getting up at 6 am whenever my husband was home and going for a walk/run - my goal was to be able to run a 5k. I don't know if I would actually run in one, but it's a great workout in a short amount of time.

That really didn't last but 1 1/2 weeks since my knees (at 44) said "Whoa" you can not start doing that to me with out some preparation. About mid-way through my second week my knees, on the medial side and in back, were in so much pain it hurt to even walk. It took 2 weeks for them to feel better. I'm sure it was a combination of things - mostly I think the shoes and running on cement. So my in-laws, who have an Elliptical and a treadmill, offered to give me their treadmill since they only use the Elliptical. Yay, great!!!!

Now I've been getting up to do the treadmill (which my knees have been great with) for the last couple weeks...the only thing is that my goal of getting up to exercise before the kids wake up isn't working so well lately. In the last two weeks Anna and Ethan have decided to be early birds which means getting up before I've even had a chance to start exercising or right in the middle of my exercise. Either way I still don't get my exercise in because they are in constant need of something.

I've tried playing around with their naps to see if that has something to do with it. I've now have them napping earlier and have shortened their naps. It is actually more of a normal pattern now. They are usually down by 1 pm and I get them up no later than 3:30 pm. Either way, they still get up early in the morning. I've tried no nap but by evening time the are a mess - so napping is still definitely required. I'm am now convinced this is their new pattern which means my pattern will need to be adjusted to fit theirs. :-)

Either I need to wake up earlier, or exercise while they nap. I think I just need to get to bed at a decent time and get up earlier. By the time they are napping there are several things I need to get done for my business and, since they are napping in the early afternoon that is the ideal time for me to work.

So moms - what have you done to get your exercise in around your children's schedule? Any recommendations you can make would be more than welcome.

This has been one of my biggest challenges with children is adjusting to the never ending "change". Changing routines and patterns, and changing phases in their growth and development. Having children has forced me to grow as a person that is for sure!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At November 8, 2010 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Frugal Couponing Mommy said...

I am a new follower via monday blog hop. Please follow me back at http://frugalcouponingmommy3.blogspot.com/

 
At November 8, 2010 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Deana said...

I like you don't feel like there are enough hours in the day to get my workouts in. My oldest is in first grade but when nap time comes around for 3 year old I like to take that time and write so I actually joined the YMCA. Then he can go to the play class and has a blast while I get my much needed me time getting healthy. Also, I wasn't one on wanting to spend the big bucks but at the Y they believe that everyone should be able to have a membership so they look at your income to determine a payment. Also you don't have to sign a contract so if you feel you just aren't cutting it you can stop going.
I hope you find something that works for you.
Thanks for following and reading my blog I too love yours. Now that I am moved and getting settled I will have more time to come visit:)

 
At November 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a new follower from Follow Me Monday Morning. Have a great day!

Liz

www.ablogwithnopurpose.blogspot.com

 
At November 8, 2010 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews said...

Aww hope they start sleeping in for you again soon!

I just found your blog through a Monday blog hop! Have a great evening.

Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

 
At November 8, 2010 at 6:35 PM , Blogger Laura D. said...

Thanks for the add! I am your newest follower!!

Laura from The Mommy Goods!

 
At November 8, 2010 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

im a new follower :)

daysfilledwithlove.blogspot.com

 
At November 8, 2010 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Jo-anne Blossy said...

Hi, following you back :)

 
At November 8, 2010 at 10:42 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Exercising is the biggest challenge for me when the kids are sick and can't go to the gym daycare. Then we so just how (not) committed I am to a regular exercise routine. It's been almost 4 weeks since I exercised because the kids or I have been sick. Oh well...
I'm following from Follow Us Monday Morning! You can stop by my blog at www.ohsosavvymom.com. I have a few great giveaways going on now--2 low entry ones that end tonight!

 
At November 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Kelly Polizzi said...

hey! thank you for following my blog. im following you back.

Was wondering the same thing btw!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home