This page has moved to a new address.

Finally Finished Decorating

Friday, December 17, 2010

Finally Finished Decorating

It has been a really crazy past couple of weeks.  Ever since my husband broke his big toe things have been very hectic and just a little insane.  Since he can't drive or really do much of anything I've now added to my "to do" list all the running around and even the little household stuff such as taking out the garbage.  I don't think I realized until this happened how much of those things he does really add up.  It has definitely given me a new appreciation for him and what he does to help run the household. 

I still have plenty of Christmas shopping to do...although it will be on a small budget given the fact that my husband has been unable to work his second job due to his toe and that was all the extra money we used for supplementation.  I think I'm starting to learn and appreciate a little more about frugal living...although I have a lot to learn.  I'm always amazed at how people can find such awesome deals!

The weekend we got our Christmas tree we did start to decorate it with all the kids.  I quickly realized what a bad idea that was...not that having the children involved was bad, it was just having my children involved with the type of decorations we have was not good.  My mom likes to start people out on ornament collections.  For instance, my sister collected the 12 days of Christmas from Waterford, so a new ornament for the collection came out every year.  Well, I would say 95% of our ornaments are very fragile and not very child friendly.  Given my collections and those started for all three kids.  I've always had these types of ornaments but, until this year, never had an issue with them.  Megan never touched anything the whole time she was growing up.  Anna and Ethan had a really hard time controlling their need to mess with the tree ALL the time.  The night we started decorating we actually didn't get very far until I put the boxes out in the garage and just decided we were going to make due with what was on the tree already or decorate at a later date.

Well, two weeks later - nothing else has been done to the tree or the inside decorations.  Between my obligations, taking on what my husband did, the kids and all the holiday activities the days just have not been long enough.  Megan has been really wanting to get the stockings up so last night I just needed to stop and take the time to do that with her (after Anna & Ethan were in bed).  We had a lot of fun putting up the stockings and decorating the stair banister with lights and garland - something we both have always loved because of all the lights.  It was so nice just taking that time and doing that with her.  Since Anna and Ethan have gotten past the newness of the tree and no longer bother it I told Megan if she wants to help me finish putting more decorations on the tree we could finish that tonight.  We did!  :-)  There are a lot of ornaments not on the tree, but with only decorating the top half...the space got filled up quickly.

The tree and the house look so much better and definitely more ready for Santa.  I think we get so busy and caught up in the things we have to do that once we stop and take the time to do those other things we do find a new appreciation for them.  I really need to work at just making myself stop and appreciate those moments, because you don't always get another opportunity for those to come again.

Weekend Blog Hops

It's OK to follow... it's the WeekendPhotobucket

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At December 18, 2010 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I had the same problem with my ornaments. Thank goodness I have some wooden ornaments. Others will not see the light of day for a few years.

 
At December 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stopping by via the weekend hops to say hello and to follow. Have a great weekend!

http://poshonabudget.com/2010/11/welcome-saturday-friends-2.html

 
At December 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hello! I'm a new follower from the Weekend blog hop. Looking forward to more of your blog...follow back if you can: http://sprout5.blogspot.com/
have a good rest of the weekend!

 
At December 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Hi! I'm now following you from weekend blog hop!
My Boss is Teething
www.mybossisteething.com

 
At December 18, 2010 at 8:11 PM , Blogger April said...

i'm following from the weekend blog hop! i hope you'll visit my blog and follow back!

best,
april

www.marineparents.blogspot.com

 
At December 19, 2010 at 12:26 AM , Blogger Janet Ellis said...

Oh my goodness, it sounds like you have been so busy! I love the house when it's all decorated for the holiday. I'm following from the Weekend Blog Hop and you can find me over at http://theskinnyonmini.blogspot.com and at http://inherpeace-janetsjournal.blogspot.com/ Blessings, Janet

 
At December 19, 2010 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Marah said...

i'm a new follower from the blog hop.

i can't wait to read more of your posts.

i'd love for you to come by my blog and follow back.

http://diaryofadevildogwife.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home